HOW TO INSTALL WECHAT APP (WECHAT MESSENGER DESKTOP CLIENT) IN UBUNTU 16.04
In this article we are going to learn How to install Wechat app (Wechat messenger desktop client) in Ubuntu 16.04. Wechat is a messenger application like Whatsapp to communicate with your friends and families through text message and video calling…etc…but as compared to Whatsapp this application comes with many more features. It’s an Chinese application developed by Tencent Holdings Limited initially released on year 2011. Wechat app is not only a messenger application but more then that. Wechat messenger application is one of the most fastest growing messenger and social media application in the world. By end of 2017 almost 900 Million users are using Wechat messenger application.
Now let’s have a look are features of Wechat app (Wechat messenger desktop client) :
- Wechat app is available for all Mobile devices. As it’s an cross platform application available for Microsoft Windows phones, iOS and Android.
- You can also install this application on Microsoft Windows PC. Download the installable file from it’s official website.
- You can use this application to chat on your Desktop by scanning the QR code on web.wechat.com.
- It’s not just a Messenger but also a Social media platform.
- Supports nearly 20+ languages.
- Wechat app (Wechat messenger desktop client) can be used to call on mobile phones and also on landlines in cheap rate. This facility available in 20 countries.
- Share media files i.e. Images, Videos with your friends.
- Send Smiles, Stickers to express your emotions.
- Wechat app (Wechat messenger desktop client) can be used to send voice messages, Video conferencing, video calling and so on.
- You can use this application to edit images from you gallery before send to any friend.
- Pay your utility bills and others payments through this application.
For more Information’s and features of Wechat App you can visit the official website.
Follow the below steps to install Wechat app (Wechat messenger desktop client) in Ubuntu 16.04
First we have to download the Wechat messenger installation package. You can download so from Github OR just click on below button to download the same.
As you can see below I have already downloaded the Wechat app. Refer the output below.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ ls -l linux-x64.tar.gz # Downloaded Package -rw-rw-r-- 1 elinuxbook elinuxbook 138724860 May 25 2017 linux-x64.tar.gz
Before start the installation update packages & repositories of Ubuntu 16.04 using below command.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update # Update Packages & Repositories Hit:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease Hit:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease Reading package lists... Done
As we have downloaded the Wechat messenger installation package in tar.gz format, We have to extract the downloaded file to open the application. Hence just use the below command to extract the downloaded package.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ tar -xzvf linux-x64.tar.gz # Extract the Downloaded Package
Also Read :
- HOW TO INSTALL FACEBOOK MESSENGER APP (FB MESSENGER APP) IN UBUNTU 16.04
- HOW TO INSTALL VIBER DESKTOP CLIENT (VIBER MESSENGER) IN UBUNTU 16.04 – A FREE MESSAGING AND CALLING APP
- HOW TO INSTALL HIPCHAT CLIENT (ATLASSIAN HIPCHAT) IN UBUNTU 16.04 – A BEST INSTANT MESSENGER APP FOR LINUX
- RAMBOX – A SINGLE APP FOR ALL FREE MESSAGING APPS (MESSAGING SERVICES) AND FREE EMAIL SERVICES
After extracting the package you will get a directory named “electronic-wechat-linux-x64“. Just go in to the directory using cd command.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ cd electronic-wechat-linux-x64/ # Change the Directory
Wechat app is a portable application so we don’t have to install it. After change the directory you will get a Script file named “electronic-wechat“. Just use the below command to open the application.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~/electronic-wechat-linux-x64$ ./electronic-wechat # Open the Application
After open the application you will get a QR code. Refer the snapshot below.
To start using the application open the Wechat app on your mobile -> Click on Options -> Click on Scan QR Code. Now open web.wechat.com on your web browser. Here your will get the QR code. Just scan the QR code from your mobile through Wechat and you are ready to use.
This is how we can install Wechat app (Wechat messenger desktop client) in Ubuntu 16.04. If you found this article useful then Like us, Share this post on your preferred Social media, Subscribe our Newsletter OR if you have something to say then feel free to comment on the comment box below.