HOW TO INSTALL LAVERNA NOTE TAKING APP (MARKDOWN EDITOR) IN UBUNTU 16.04 – A BEST ALTERNATIVE TO EVERNOTE
In this article we are going to learn How to install Laverna note taking app in Ubuntu 16.04. Laverna is a open source note taking app, markdown editor and a nice alternative to evernote application. You can also use this application as a code editor. It’s an java based application and released under MPL-2.0 license.
Now let’s have look at features of Laverna note taking app (markdown editor) :
- It’s an cross platform application available for major operating systems i.e. Linux, Microsoft Windows.
- Laverna is also useful for software developers as it’s also an markdown editor.
- Code Highlighting.
- You can customize Laverna app (alternative to evernote) by downloading it’s source code from Github.
- Installation package is available for both 32 Bit & 64 Bit operating system.
- Created notes in Laverna note taking app can be import or export any time.
- Create to do lists using this app.
- You can store your confidential data more securly by encrypt your notes using it’s encryption feature.
- Laverna markdown editor can store your data on cloud like google drive, dropbox…etc..which can be helpful in access your data from anywhere.
For more information and features of Foxit best free pdf reader you can visit the official website.
Follow the below steps to install laverna note taking app (markdown editor) in Ubuntu 16.04 – a best alternative to evernote
Before we start the installation of Laverna note taking app (markdown editor) let’s update the packages & repositories of Ubuntu 16.04 using below command.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update # Update Packages & Repositories Hit:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease Hit:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease Reading package lists... Done
After updating the Packages & Repositories now we have to download the Laverna (alternative to evernote) package from it’s official website. So to download the same use the below command.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ wget https://github.com/Laverna/laverna/releases/download/0.7.51/laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip --2018-01-24 09:12:22-- https://github.com/Laverna/laverna/releases/download/0.7.51/laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip Resolving github.com (github.com)... 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 Connecting to github.com (github.com)|126.96.36.199|:443... connected. . . Length: 51995508 (50M) [application/octet-stream] Saving to: ‘laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip’ laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip 100%[=====================================================================================>] 49.59M 606KB/s in 1m 51s 2018-01-24 09:14:16 (457 KB/s) - ‘laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip’ saved [51995508/51995508]
As you can see below I have already downloaded the Laverna note taking app package. Refer the command below.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ ls -l laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip # Downloaded Package -rw-rw-r-- 1 elinuxbook elinuxbook 51995508 Oct 1 02:16 laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip
Also Read :
- HOW TO INSTALL WIZNOTE FREE NOTE TAKING SOFTWARE IN UBUNTU 16.04 – A BEST ALTERNATIVE TO EVERNOTE
- HOW TO INSTALL BOOSTNOTE MARKDOWN NOTE TAKING SOFTWARE IN UBUNTU 16.04 – A BEST OPEN SOURCE NOTE TAKING APP FOR LINUX
- HOW TO INSTALL QOWNNOTES IN UBUNTU 16.04 – A NOTE TAKING SOFTWARE FOR LINUX
- HOW TO INSTALL STANDARD NOTES ENCRYPTED NOTES APP IN UBUNTU 16.04
As we have downloaded the Laverna markdown editor package in zip format, we have to extract the package to install it. So to extract the same use the below command.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ unzip laverna-0.7.51-linux-x64.zip # Extract the downloaded Package
Laverna note taking app (markdown editor) is a portable application hence you don’t have to install it. Just execute the given script to open the application.
So now after extracting the package you will get a script named “laverna”. Use the below command to execute the script file to open the Laverna (alternative to evernote) app.
elinuxbook@ubuntu:~$ sudo ./laverna # Open the Laverna (alternative to evernote)
This is how we can install laverna note taking app (markdown editor) in ubuntu 16.04 – a best alternative to evernote. If you found this article useful then Like us, Share this post on your preferred Social media, Subscribe our Newsletter OR if you have something to say then feel free to comment on the comment box below.